BotoxELEGANCE MEDICAL AESTHETICS
How Does BOTOX Work?
BOTOX® Cosmetic targets one of the underlying causes of frown lines and crow’s feet—the repeated muscle contractions from frowning and squinting over the years. BOTOX® treatments require maintenance treatments to preserve the result, typically about every three months.
Wrinkles result from a combination of many factors. It’s not just about cellular changes that can occur over time, reduction of collagen, or damage caused by sun damage and the environment. When you frown or concentrate, the muscles between your brows contract, causing your skin to furrow and fold. And when you squint, the muscles around your eyes contract and cause crow’s feet.
BOTOX® Cosmetic works beneath the skin’s surface and targets the underlying muscle activity that causes frown lines and crow’s feet.
What areas can be treated with BOTOX® and how many units will it require?
BOTOX® is best used as a treatment and preventative measure for wrinkles and lines caused by underlying muscle movement. Common areas treated by BOTOX (and amount of units required on average) include:
- Horizontal forehead line furrows (5-10 units)
- Frown lines that occur between the eyebrows (20 units)
- Crow’s feet beside the eyes (15-20 units)
- Lines beside and around the mouth (4-8 units)
- Gummy smile (BOTOX® can be injected into the upper lip, providing a subtle “flip” which relaxes the lip to allow for a less gummy smile and an overall fuller pout) (4-8 units)
- Masseter muscle (BOTOX® can be injected into the masseter – AKA jawline muscles, to help with slimming the face as well as migraines caused from teeth grinding) (15-20 units/per side)
- Hyperhidrosis/excessive sweating (BOTOX® required for this treatment may be covered under your drug plan. The amount of BOTOX® needed will be prescribed to you by the medical director and you will pick it up at the pharmacy. It is then injected by our physician injector. There is a $200 injection fee at our clinic for this treatment)
What is BOTOX®, and how does it work?
BOTOX® is a brand of the prescription drug called OnabotulinumtoxinA. It is a naturally-occurring neurotoxin that, when injected into a targeted muscle, allows for the muscle to relax and thus, prevents the skin above that muscle from creasing. Once BOTOX® kicks in, the muscle is relaxed and it does not allow the skin to crease and fold as it does naturally. This is why BOTOX® is the gold standard for the prevention of wrinkles and fine lines.
How soon will I see results and how long does BOTOX® last?
Patients can notice results of BOTOX® in as little as 48 hours, with full results showing after 7 days. BOTOX® typically starts to wear off between 3-4 months. Some patients will notice that they require less BOTOX® over time as their muscles adapt to the treatment.
Does BOTOX® hurt?
The needles we use administer BOTOX® are of a very fine gauge. Most patients are pleasantly surprised with the lack of pain, reporting the pain as a 2/10. If you are really concerned about discomfort, we can apply a topical numbing cream before administering your treatment.
How long does the procedure take?
Once we have discussed your treatment goals and performed a facial analysis to determine the appropriate treatment areas for you, the actual BOTOX® injection process takes about 10 minutes.
How much does BOTOX® cost?
BOTOX® pricing is done per unit. Depending on the area you wish to target, as well as the strength of your facial muscles, the amount you need may vary.
1-10 units: $11/unit
10-25 units: $10/unit
25-40 units: $9/unit
40+ units: $8.50/unit
Will I look funny or "stiff" after receiving BOTOX?
Not at all! With BOTOX®, less is more and the end goal is a more relaxed, youthful appearance. You’ll look like yourself—only with less noticeable frown lines and wrinkles. BOTOX® Cosmetic is a technique-sensitive treatment. You should not lose the ability to show expression when you are treated by someone who is licensed, trained, and a medical expert in facial anatomy.